- A career trucker brings his tales of the road to people in hospice
- How driver Paul Sedlak finds motivation to reach his fitness goals
- I Love Trucking: More than a job, driving is a way of life
- Big Rig Books: Driver delivers books to underprivileged kids
- Driver Chris Jackson captures moments of beauty on the road
- Trucking Couple: Why June & David got hitched
- Owner-operator Fritz Elmhorst puts his competitiveness to good use
- Driver David Boyer: Sharing the road responsibly
- World’s Toughest Trucker contestant: “I’m the modern cowboy”
- Easy Being Green: Sustainability by CNG-fueled truck
Long haul truckers can be considered soldiers of sorts, working mainly in solitude and doing battle with the elements to ensure their cargo is delivered safely. Maybe that’s why there are so many military veterans behind the wheel.
Now there may be more. A new partnership agreement between the U.S. Army Reserve and the American Trucking Associations will turn the idea of trucker as soldier into a reality.
The innovative agreement will provide experienced truck drivers for the military and get jobs for truck drivers leaving service.
“Army Reservists are ideal candidates for America’s professional truck drivers,” says ATA President and CEO Bill Graves.
Both are jobs that require stamina, focus and discipline, so it is easy to see how one can translate into the other.
The recruiting partnership and alliance with the ATA is the first of its kind between the Army Reserve and motor transportation industry. By working together, the trucking industry and Army Reserve can make it possible for active duty soldiers to find a career with benefits after their time serving the country comes to an end.
“This is a mutually beneficial relationship for the trucking industry and the Army Reserve,” says Lt. Gen. Jack C. Stultz, Chief, Army Reserve, and Commanding General, Army Reserve Command. “Together we will build and sustain a strong shared workforce.”
People interested in participating in the program can learn more details at www.armyreserve.army.mil. —HD