- This driver sees the world through Google Glass
- A career trucker brings his tales of the road to people in hospice
- How driver Paul Sedlak finds motivation to reach his fitness goals
- I Love Trucking: More than a job, driving is a way of life
- Big Rig Books: Driver delivers books to underprivileged kids
- Driver Chris Jackson captures moments of beauty on the road
- Trucking Couple: Why June & David got hitched
- Owner-operator Fritz Elmhorst puts his competitiveness to good use
- Driver David Boyer: Sharing the road responsibly
- World’s Toughest Trucker contestant: “I’m the modern cowboy”
Get Your Motor Running
Larry Slater went into Petro one day for routine maintenance on his truck and drove off a winner. He didn’t know it right away, but he won a trip to the Sturgis bike rally.
Slater, an owner-operator, says he has always been a Mobil Delvac user because he thinks it is the best oil out there. He swiped his Petro Passport card after getting “the works” oil service. When he did that, he entered to win a trip for two to the Sturgis Rally 2010 VIP Experience from Mobil Delvac. The prize included three days in Sturgis, S.D. and a casino trip with a tour of Mount Rushmore.
“I enjoyed every minute of it,” says the ten-year veteran driver of his weekend at the famous motorcycle gathering. “They treated my wife and me real nice. It was real VIP.”
Slater and his wife, Joann, flew to Sturgis in August from their town of Valdosta, Ga., to enjoy the three-day vacation. The trip was packed with fun events, including tours, dinners and, of course, motorcycles. There were plenty of people to show them around and take them out at night. Slater especially liked meeting Paul Teutul Sr. and Rick Petko from Orange County Choppers, the custom shop featured in the TV reality series American Chopper. They gave Slater and his wife a big batch of souvenirs, including autographed books, t-shirts and leather jackets.
“We really enjoyed ourselves,” says Slater. “The Mobil Delvac people took us to some really nice restaurants — these places were special. My favorite parts were seeing the thousands of bikes everywhere and the visit to Mount Rushmore. It was a wonderful time.”