- This driver sees the world through Google Glass
- A career trucker brings his tales of the road to people in hospice
- How driver Paul Sedlak finds motivation to reach his fitness goals
- I Love Trucking: More than a job, driving is a way of life
- Big Rig Books: Driver delivers books to underprivileged kids
- Driver Chris Jackson captures moments of beauty on the road
- Trucking Couple: Why June & David got hitched
- Owner-operator Fritz Elmhorst puts his competitiveness to good use
- Driver David Boyer: Sharing the road responsibly
- World’s Toughest Trucker contestant: “I’m the modern cowboy”
Even drivers who couldn’t be pried out of their rigs make it clear that the job isn’t suited to everyone.
Now potential truckers can take a career assessment test for long haul drivers online, from JOBehaviors, at www.jobehaviors.com.
The test consists of 100 questions, compiled from research that determined 400-500 traits needed for the job. It helps pinpoint whether candidates favor safety over risk-taking, and whether their independent streak means they can’t easily find a way to work with others. Driving experience is not part of the test. “Behavior is 80 percent of the pie,” says Mark Tinney, president of JOBehaviors. “Only 20 percent is technical. Hire for behavior, train for skill.”