- A career trucker brings his tales of the road to people in hospice
- How driver Paul Sedlak finds motivation to reach his fitness goals
- I Love Trucking: More than a job, driving is a way of life
- Big Rig Books: Driver delivers books to underprivileged kids
- Driver Chris Jackson captures moments of beauty on the road
- Trucking Couple: Why June & David got hitched
- Owner-operator Fritz Elmhorst puts his competitiveness to good use
- Driver David Boyer: Sharing the road responsibly
- World’s Toughest Trucker contestant: “I’m the modern cowboy”
- Easy Being Green: Sustainability by CNG-fueled truck
Color My World
Kids are getting their paints, pencils and crayons ready for Trucker Buddy, but their scribbles aren’t meant for their traveling pen pal this time around. The organization that brings drivers and school classrooms together is building on that relationship for the Sustaining Our World Contest, a coloring competition aimed at educating the public about green trucking industry efforts.
“The important message here is that the trucking industry has many new standards, some trucks have cleaner air than the cars teenagers are driving nowadays,” says Randy Schwartzenburg, executive director of the organization.
The contest begins in August and runs through October. In November, Trucker Buddy will release an eCalendar of the top 13 drawings.
Educators will also be more involved in Trucker Buddy with the development of the Teacher Advisory Council, with members providing feedback from the classroom and offering ideas for improving or expanding the program.
“Trucker Buddy is a like a three-legged stool. You have the student, the teacher and the driver,” explains Schwartzenburg. “These programs are a great way to get every one of those legs involved.”