- This driver sees the world through Google Glass
- A career trucker brings his tales of the road to people in hospice
- How driver Paul Sedlak finds motivation to reach his fitness goals
- I Love Trucking: More than a job, driving is a way of life
- Big Rig Books: Driver delivers books to underprivileged kids
- Driver Chris Jackson captures moments of beauty on the road
- Trucking Couple: Why June & David got hitched
- Owner-operator Fritz Elmhorst puts his competitiveness to good use
- Driver David Boyer: Sharing the road responsibly
- World’s Toughest Trucker contestant: “I’m the modern cowboy”
Audiobooks: The California Trail and More
The California Trail
By Ralph Compton
3 CDs, 4 Hours
It’s 1849 and gold fever has struck California! Ralph Compton’s classic rendition of the Old West tale follows Texas brothers Gil and Van Austin on a harrowing cattle drive as they lead their herd of longhorns westward. While the endless desert and raging rivers make the journey dangerous, the rough terrain turns out to be the least of their worries as Indians, outlaws, and crafty, gun-slinging women plague the cowboys and their crew. Although this is the fifth book of his Trail Drive series, The California Trail can stand alone with the action of the Austin brothers’ exciting trailblazing adventures. – Hilary Rocks
By George Pelecanos
6 CDs, 7.5 Hours
Renowned crime writer George Pelecanos introduces Spero Lucas, a recent veteran of the Iraq war who wants to recreate the adrenaline-pumping thrills he felt as a Marine. Back home, he works as an investigator for a defense attorney, and specializes in recovering stolen property. Interesting but a bit too tame.
Along comes a job tracking down some missing marijuana. The payoff will be big, but soon it’s clear the risk is too. People start dropping dead, and Lucas finds himself in the middle of real danger as he comes face to face with bad cops, competing private investigators and weapons galore. By the time the story ends Lucas has found that old thrill. – Becky Henson
Life Itself, By Roger Ebert
The film critic and cancer survivor recalls the highlights of his life and the extraordinary people he has met.
In Close, By Brenda Novak
A suspense novel with some romance thrown in to keep things interesting.
Tension City, By Jim Lehrer
The noted newsman who has moderated many presidential debates offers his ringside view of politics.