- This driver always makes time to mentor the next generation — whether at home or on the road
- This driver helps rookie truckers learn the ropes
- Home-schooling in a truck means the country is a classroom
- This driver sees the world through Google Glass
- A career trucker brings his tales of the road to people in hospice
- How driver Paul Sedlak finds motivation to reach his fitness goals
- I Love Trucking: More than a job, driving is a way of life
- Big Rig Books: Driver delivers books to underprivileged kids
- Driver Chris Jackson captures moments of beauty on the road
- Trucking Couple: Why June & David got hitched
A Shift in Luxury
WOULD SOMEBODY WITH $150,000 lying around invest it in a gear shift knob?
Iced Out Emz, a custom car accessory company in Las Vegas, banked on the idea that, yes, someone would do just that when they created a knob for a Bentley Continental GT.
“Every year we do a trade show convention for our industry, and we wanted to show the consumer what our company is all about,” says Tony Lee, director and chief designer of Iced Out Emz. “So we made something very extravagant to show our capabilities.”
Extravagant is an understatement. Covered in 30 carats worth of diamonds and 10 ounces of 18-karat white gold, the piece billed is as the World’s Most Expensive Bentley Shift Knob. And when it was snapped up by an undisclosed buyer, they created a follow up version worth $75,000, also for a Bentley. Still up for grabs, the second piece is iced out in 21 carats of genuine diamonds and 5 ounces of white gold.
Of course not everyone drives a Bentley, but shift knobs with a little zing are available to all vehicles with drivers willing to shell out some cash. Starting at about $5,000, a custom gear shift takes about two months to produce, from the initial design to completion.
“We can absolutely create one for any vehicle,” says Lee. “The labor is what costs the most.”