- A driver builds up his own trucking business
- Father and son share a love of life on the road, even if it makes visits rare
- This driver always makes time to mentor the next generation — whether at home or on the road
- This driver helps rookie truckers learn the ropes
- Home-schooling in a truck means the country is a classroom
- This driver sees the world through Google Glass
- A career trucker brings his tales of the road to people in hospice
- How driver Paul Sedlak finds motivation to reach his fitness goals
- I Love Trucking: More than a job, driving is a way of life
- Big Rig Books: Driver delivers books to underprivileged kids
All posts tagged "Homer Hogg"
- Don’t live with A/C that doesn’t keep the cab cool
When summer temperatures start climbing, a long drive in an enclosed space would be unbearable if not for the modern convenience of air conditioning. The sun may blaze down heat, but with just a flick of the...
- Posted July 1, 2015
- A few minutes of investigating can lead you to the cause of an ABS alert
Any warning light warrants attention, but the ABS light on the dash of your truck or the side indicator light on your trailer should never be shrugged off. It indicates a malfunction with your ABS system, which...
- Posted May 4, 2015
- The mechanics behind slowing down and stopping are not so simple anymore
Take a short walk around a truck and you will notice the evolution of the brake system. This has become a very sophisticated bit of engineering, often due to the need to meet six requirements of the...
- Posted March 2, 2015
- The power of preventative maintenance done right on schedule
Arguably, the single most important thing you can do to control your maintenance cost is a quality preventative maintenance visit — on time every time. The power of discovering potential failures before they actually occur is undeniable....
- Posted January 2, 2015
- Get wise to battery needs in winter
Oh, how frustrating it is to jump into a truck to begin your workday only to find that the starter will not crank the engine over. This scenario will be played out almost every cold day of...
- Posted November 1, 2014
- Getting to know engine oils on a molecular level
There is little debate that oil is the life of an engine. Certainly, reducing friction is the key purpose for engine oil, but these days it also plays a part in fuel efficiency, emissions control, metals protection,...
- Posted August 27, 2014
- Take steps be sure HVAC costs don’t get out of hand
Trucks manufactured in the ’80s and ’90s had a very simple A/C system, typically consisting of a single wire from the A/C control switch in the dash to a thermostat, then on through a pressure switch and...
- Posted July 2, 2014
- Stay current with A/C maintenance and smile through the summer heat
Fixing a broken A/C can break the bank. The answer is good maintenance practices.
- Posted May 12, 2014
- Quality counts when trucks go in for preventative maintenance
Whether you are a one-truck operation or manage a fleet with thousands of vehicles, the single most important control you have for sustaining and improving profitability is a relatively simple one.
- Posted March 7, 2014
- Take care of your clutch system and it will take care of you
A vehicle’s clutch connects and disconnects the engine and transmission and dampens unwanted vibrations in a vehicle’s driveline system. If something goes off-kilter, expensive components, such as transmissions, may be affected, and today’s high torque engines put...
- Posted January 16, 2014