- Home-schooling in a truck means the country is a classroom
- This driver sees the world through Google Glass
- A career trucker brings his tales of the road to people in hospice
- How driver Paul Sedlak finds motivation to reach his fitness goals
- I Love Trucking: More than a job, driving is a way of life
- Big Rig Books: Driver delivers books to underprivileged kids
- Driver Chris Jackson captures moments of beauty on the road
- Trucking Couple: Why June & David got hitched
- Owner-operator Fritz Elmhorst puts his competitiveness to good use
- Driver David Boyer: Sharing the road responsibly
All posts tagged "gearbox"
- Can a 6×2 drivetrain find its way into the hearts of U.S. truckers?
Fuel economy still dominates any conversation on trucking. With today’s prices, each percentage point of fuel saved can add up to serious money. Getting 2-3 percent savings without additional cost would interest anyone in the industry. Weight...
- Posted March 21, 2014
- Maintenance is a bit different for a natural gas truck
Every few years, trucks change in a way that requires rethinking on the part of drivers and preparation within the industry. Think of the transition to ULSD and the addition of DEF. Now, natural gas looms as...
- Posted January 16, 2014
- How automated transmissions keep changing trucking
Perhaps it’s just a matter of ego, but one of the things that always separated truckers from passenger car drivers was the ability to shift multi-range transmissions. Today, an entire generation of motorists is clueless when faced...
- Posted July 1, 2013
- What do shippers & receivers want from truckers?
We truckers all have answers to the question, “What are three things we wish shippers and receivers understood about trucking that would make our job easier?”
- Posted March 4, 2013
- Under Control: Mack Pinnacle with mDRIVE
You may have seen one of those cable TV shows geared for motor-heads (pun intended), where a hot rod shop, customizer or a restoration specialist takes someone’s car and rebuilds it, incorporating all the latest features.
- Posted November 2, 2012
- How effective are aerodynamic additions for trailers?
More and more trailers are “wearing skirts,” the aerodynamic devices seen hanging below the boxes, leading to more and more questions concerning aerodynamics and fuel economy. To help answer them accurately, I called on a noted authority...
- Posted July 3, 2012
- Reasons to reconsider retreads
Despite the preference among many drivers for new tires, hundreds of thousands of trucks run safely on retreaded tires, saving their owners thousands of dollars annually.
- Posted May 1, 2012
- Pre-Fix Menu
Even though many of us would like to think of trucking as a lifestyle (showing classic, long nose trucks, with their broad, flat shiny bumpers and dual chrome stacks), it is first and foremost a business. To...
- Posted September 6, 2011
- The Sweet Spot
The higher fuel prices go, the greater their effect on your profitability in trucking. And obviously, the better your miles per gallon, the more profitable you will be.
- Posted June 30, 2011