- This driver always makes time to mentor the next generation — whether at home or on the road
- This driver helps rookie truckers learn the ropes
- Home-schooling in a truck means the country is a classroom
- This driver sees the world through Google Glass
- A career trucker brings his tales of the road to people in hospice
- How driver Paul Sedlak finds motivation to reach his fitness goals
- I Love Trucking: More than a job, driving is a way of life
- Big Rig Books: Driver delivers books to underprivileged kids
- Driver Chris Jackson captures moments of beauty on the road
- Trucking Couple: Why June & David got hitched
All posts tagged "gearbox"
- Downspeeding engines make it easy for drivers to enjoy the ride while saving on fuel
The vast majority of CDL holders today came into our industry learning certain fundamentals about operating a large truck. Starting in the late 1970s, we learned that if you drove much above 1800 rpm, (2100 in some...
- Posted March 3, 2015
- Exhaust emissions? They barely exist now. But wait, there’s more to be done.
It’s been more than 15 years since the EPA started regulating pollution from truck exhausts. It began with nitrogen oxides (NOx), precursors of smog, controlled in 2002 using exhaust gas recirculation (EGR). In 2007, diesel particulate filters...
- Posted March 2, 2015
- The Procision transmission uses dual-clutch design to make every shift easy
Technology advances continue to have an impact on trucking safety, economy and ease. Eaton recently introduced Procision, a new transmission for Class 6 and 7 trucks. With it, Eaton brought an entirely new technology to medium duty...
- Posted November 6, 2014
- Three test drives with the latest ProStars
International introduce the Navistar ProStar in 2006, and I had a chance to drive one of their first fleet-spec’d tractors. The EPA 2007-compliant Cummins ISX 430 hp motor had a then-new diesel particulate filter (DPF). This demonstrator...
- Posted September 18, 2014
- Dashboard cameras record what’s happening on the road
An entire market, photography, has undergone a revolution in the past few years. Picture taking and processing is almost all done electronically. Picture quality undreamed of at the turn of this century is common today. The same...
- Posted September 9, 2014
- Can a 6×2 drivetrain find its way into the hearts of U.S. truckers?
Fuel economy still dominates any conversation on trucking. With today’s prices, each percentage point of fuel saved can add up to serious money. Getting 2-3 percent savings without additional cost would interest anyone in the industry. Weight...
- Posted March 21, 2014
- Maintenance is a bit different for a natural gas truck
Every few years, trucks change in a way that requires rethinking on the part of drivers and preparation within the industry. Think of the transition to ULSD and the addition of DEF. Now, natural gas looms as...
- Posted January 16, 2014
- How automated transmissions keep changing trucking
Perhaps it’s just a matter of ego, but one of the things that always separated truckers from passenger car drivers was the ability to shift multi-range transmissions. Today, an entire generation of motorists is clueless when faced...
- Posted July 1, 2013
- What do shippers & receivers want from truckers?
We truckers all have answers to the question, “What are three things we wish shippers and receivers understood about trucking that would make our job easier?”
- Posted March 4, 2013
- Under Control: Mack Pinnacle with mDRIVE
You may have seen one of those cable TV shows geared for motor-heads (pun intended), where a hot rod shop, customizer or a restoration specialist takes someone’s car and rebuilds it, incorporating all the latest features.
- Posted November 2, 2012