- This driver always makes time to mentor the next generation — whether at home or on the road
- This driver helps rookie truckers learn the ropes
- Home-schooling in a truck means the country is a classroom
- This driver sees the world through Google Glass
- A career trucker brings his tales of the road to people in hospice
- How driver Paul Sedlak finds motivation to reach his fitness goals
- I Love Trucking: More than a job, driving is a way of life
- Big Rig Books: Driver delivers books to underprivileged kids
- Driver Chris Jackson captures moments of beauty on the road
- Trucking Couple: Why June & David got hitched
Help TA and Petro find the next Citizen Drivers
Congratulations, again, to the 2014 Citizen Drivers. We now have seven TA and Petro locations named for our first Citizen Drivers, with prominent signage and plaques that tell their stories. And, in the few weeks since the inaugural Citizen Driver ceremony at MATS, media stories about these great truckers abound. It’s a great start to our effort to make the general public aware of the men and women who keep America going and to demonstrate our respect for them. But this is an ongoing effort on our part.
We are kicking off the second annual Citizen Driver Awards with a call for nominations, and hope that drivers will not only participate but spread the word to others. Forms are available online at www.ta-petro.com/citizendriveraward.
Believe me, we had a difficult time narrowing down the first year’s nominations to a group of finalists, and the judges didn’t have it much easier when choosing the winners. We saw many outstanding drivers among the nominees. If you nominated a driver who did not ultimately win, they are still eligible. I encourage you to nominate them again.
Please do guide your fellow drivers, your company colleagues, the shippers and receivers you work with regularly and anyone you know who comes in contact with truckers to think about a worthy nominee. The more we know about these unsung heroes, the better. If you nominate a driver for the award, don’t hold back. More information included in the nomination gives reviewers a fuller picture of the nominee. Recommendation letters, awards, certificates, volunteer work — all show how the driver nominee has made an impact on those around him or her.
And if you need inspiration, please visit one of the seven locations named for our 2014 Citizen Drivers.
We know that for each Citizen Driver, there are hundreds who are also deserving of recognition. We want to know about them. Spread the word, fill out a nomination form and help us find 2015’s Citizen Drivers.