- This driver sees the world through Google Glass
- A career trucker brings his tales of the road to people in hospice
- How driver Paul Sedlak finds motivation to reach his fitness goals
- I Love Trucking: More than a job, driving is a way of life
- Big Rig Books: Driver delivers books to underprivileged kids
- Driver Chris Jackson captures moments of beauty on the road
- Trucking Couple: Why June & David got hitched
- Owner-operator Fritz Elmhorst puts his competitiveness to good use
- Driver David Boyer: Sharing the road responsibly
- World’s Toughest Trucker contestant: “I’m the modern cowboy”
All posts by Timothy Brady
- Specialized trucking requires specialized training
To earn top dollar in the trucking industry, there are three maxims: Find that special niche. It’s not the time spent in the left seat that makes the greatest revenue, it’s the time spent in or on...
- Posted July 2, 2013
- What do shippers & receivers want from truckers?
We truckers all have answers to the question, “What are three things we wish shippers and receivers understood about trucking that would make our job easier?”
- Posted March 4, 2013
- Get to know your customer’s business as well as your own
This is going to surprise many of my regular readers, who know how much I emphasize the need to know your hauling rate range before entering into freight hauling negotiations. That should not be your first priority...
- Posted March 4, 2013
- Why good health is good business for truckers
According to a recent Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, transportation workers have the highest obesity rate of any industry in the nation — 37.8 percent. Three years ago, the Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine published a study of...
- Posted January 3, 2013
- Drivers can make an impact on the industry
Joe Rajkovacz spent 29 years as a driver and has been advocating for truckers for 35 years. Road King talked with him about how drivers can make their voices heard on trucking issues.
- Posted January 2, 2013
- Owning & Driving for Your Own Trucking Company
An extremely challenging situation for the micro-motor carrier owner still hauling loads occurs when you’re also the boss for up to five other truckers.
- Posted November 1, 2012
- The unique requirements of climate control trucking
Climate control trucking isn’t hauling refrigerated freight; it’s more than that. Mike Blackston and Art Taylor, who have been doing climate control hauling for Legacy Transportation Services Inc., San José, Calif., discuss the unique requirements of this...
- Posted August 31, 2012
- The successes of Zach Bench and Travis Nelson
With new FMCSA regulations, increased CSA enforcement and a still-struggling economy, going into trucking seems almost foolhardy. But younger truckers are still taking the plunge to become motor carriers.
- Posted July 3, 2012
- Livestock hauler Bruce Janzen keeps his city and his trucking business running smoothly
Only one small town has a mayor who’s logged more than 3 million miles driving a truck. Elbing, Kan., population 230, is unique, and so is its truck-driving mayor, Bruce Janzen.
- Posted May 1, 2012