- Father and son share a love of life on the road, even if it makes visits rare
- This driver always makes time to mentor the next generation — whether at home or on the road
- This driver helps rookie truckers learn the ropes
- Home-schooling in a truck means the country is a classroom
- This driver sees the world through Google Glass
- A career trucker brings his tales of the road to people in hospice
- How driver Paul Sedlak finds motivation to reach his fitness goals
- I Love Trucking: More than a job, driving is a way of life
- Big Rig Books: Driver delivers books to underprivileged kids
- Driver Chris Jackson captures moments of beauty on the road
All posts by Paul Abelson
- Big rigs hit the track in the new ChampTruck World Series
People turn out by the thousands for NASCAR races,motorcycle races, Formula One races. But what about big trucks? They are already a huge success in Europe. The Truck Racing Organization and the FIA European Truck Racing Championship...
- Posted May 5, 2015
- Downspeeding engines make it easy for drivers to enjoy the ride while saving on fuel
The vast majority of CDL holders today came into our industry learning certain fundamentals about operating a large truck. Starting in the late 1970s, we learned that if you drove much above 1800 rpm, (2100 in some...
- Posted March 3, 2015
- Exhaust emissions? They barely exist now. But wait, there’s more to be done.
It’s been more than 15 years since the EPA started regulating pollution from truck exhausts. It began with nitrogen oxides (NOx), precursors of smog, controlled in 2002 using exhaust gas recirculation (EGR). In 2007, diesel particulate filters...
- Posted March 2, 2015
- Many tools and devices in trucking originated with the military
The relationship between the military and the trucking industry goes back to World War I. In 1917, even before the United States entered the war, Mack ACs were used to bring supplies to British troops. Because of...
- Posted November 10, 2014
- The Procision transmission uses dual-clutch design to make every shift easy
Technology advances continue to have an impact on trucking safety, economy and ease. Eaton recently introduced Procision, a new transmission for Class 6 and 7 trucks. With it, Eaton brought an entirely new technology to medium duty...
- Posted November 6, 2014
- Three test drives with the latest ProStars
International introduce the Navistar ProStar in 2006, and I had a chance to drive one of their first fleet-spec’d tractors. The EPA 2007-compliant Cummins ISX 430 hp motor had a then-new diesel particulate filter (DPF). This demonstrator...
- Posted September 18, 2014
- Dashboard cameras record what’s happening on the road
An entire market, photography, has undergone a revolution in the past few years. Picture taking and processing is almost all done electronically. Picture quality undreamed of at the turn of this century is common today. The same...
- Posted September 9, 2014
- Can a 6×2 drivetrain find its way into the hearts of U.S. truckers?
Fuel economy still dominates any conversation on trucking. With today’s prices, each percentage point of fuel saved can add up to serious money. Getting 2-3 percent savings without additional cost would interest anyone in the industry. Weight...
- Posted March 21, 2014
- Paul K. Young Memorial Truck Beauty Championship marks 25 years
Don’t miss the 25th Anniversary Edition of the Paul K. Young Memorial Truck Beauty Championship at MATS.
- Posted March 20, 2014
- 4 truck-specific GPS navigation systems
A trucker guided by his GPS arrived at the edge of a cliff, and the truck almost went over.
- Posted November 1, 2013