- This driver helps rookie truckers learn the ropes
- Home-schooling in a truck means the country is a classroom
- This driver sees the world through Google Glass
- A career trucker brings his tales of the road to people in hospice
- How driver Paul Sedlak finds motivation to reach his fitness goals
- I Love Trucking: More than a job, driving is a way of life
- Big Rig Books: Driver delivers books to underprivileged kids
- Driver Chris Jackson captures moments of beauty on the road
- Trucking Couple: Why June & David got hitched
- Owner-operator Fritz Elmhorst puts his competitiveness to good use
All posts by Paul Abelson
- Many tools and devices in trucking originated with the military
The relationship between the military and the trucking industry goes back to World War I. In 1917, even before the United States entered the war, Mack ACs were used to bring supplies to British troops. Because of...
- Posted November 10, 2014
- The Procision transmission uses dual-clutch design to make every shift easy
Technology advances continue to have an impact on trucking safety, economy and ease. Eaton recently introduced Procision, a new transmission for Class 6 and 7 trucks. With it, Eaton brought an entirely new technology to medium duty...
- Posted November 6, 2014
- Three test drives with the latest ProStars
International introduce the Navistar ProStar in 2006, and I had a chance to drive one of their first fleet-spec’d tractors. The EPA 2007-compliant Cummins ISX 430 hp motor had a then-new diesel particulate filter (DPF). This demonstrator...
- Posted September 18, 2014
- Dashboard cameras record what’s happening on the road
An entire market, photography, has undergone a revolution in the past few years. Picture taking and processing is almost all done electronically. Picture quality undreamed of at the turn of this century is common today. The same...
- Posted September 9, 2014
- Can a 6×2 drivetrain find its way into the hearts of U.S. truckers?
Fuel economy still dominates any conversation on trucking. With today’s prices, each percentage point of fuel saved can add up to serious money. Getting 2-3 percent savings without additional cost would interest anyone in the industry. Weight...
- Posted March 21, 2014
- Paul K. Young Memorial Truck Beauty Championship marks 25 years
Don’t miss the 25th Anniversary Edition of the Paul K. Young Memorial Truck Beauty Championship at MATS.
- Posted March 20, 2014
- 4 truck-specific GPS navigation systems
A trucker guided by his GPS arrived at the edge of a cliff, and the truck almost went over.
- Posted November 1, 2013
- The fuel that everyone is talking about
We’ve been talking about fuel economy for years, and part of the issue is the country’s dependence on foreign oil imports. That wasn’t always the case. In 1970, the United States spent $3 billion on foreign oil....
- Posted September 1, 2013
- How automated transmissions keep changing trucking
Perhaps it’s just a matter of ego, but one of the things that always separated truckers from passenger car drivers was the ability to shift multi-range transmissions. Today, an entire generation of motorists is clueless when faced...
- Posted July 1, 2013
- Track down hard-to-detect flood damage in used trucks
You finally found it — that dream truck. It’s the one you’ve been thinking about buying for years. It has the big sleeper you’ve longed for, the big power you’ve always wanted and the perfect transmission for...
- Posted March 1, 2013