- Home-schooling in a truck means the country is a classroom
- This driver sees the world through Google Glass
- A career trucker brings his tales of the road to people in hospice
- How driver Paul Sedlak finds motivation to reach his fitness goals
- I Love Trucking: More than a job, driving is a way of life
- Big Rig Books: Driver delivers books to underprivileged kids
- Driver Chris Jackson captures moments of beauty on the road
- Trucking Couple: Why June & David got hitched
- Owner-operator Fritz Elmhorst puts his competitiveness to good use
- Driver David Boyer: Sharing the road responsibly
All posts by Homer Hogg
- Getting to know engine oils on a molecular level
There is little debate that oil is the life of an engine. Certainly, reducing friction is the key purpose for engine oil, but these days it also plays a part in fuel efficiency, emissions control, metals protection,...
- Posted August 27, 2014
- Take steps be sure HVAC costs don’t get out of hand
Trucks manufactured in the ’80s and ’90s had a very simple A/C system, typically consisting of a single wire from the A/C control switch in the dash to a thermostat, then on through a pressure switch and...
- Posted July 2, 2014
- Stay current with A/C maintenance and smile through the summer heat
Fixing a broken A/C can break the bank. The answer is good maintenance practices.
- Posted May 12, 2014
- Quality counts when trucks go in for preventative maintenance
Whether you are a one-truck operation or manage a fleet with thousands of vehicles, the single most important control you have for sustaining and improving profitability is a relatively simple one.
- Posted March 7, 2014
- Take care of your clutch system and it will take care of you
A vehicle’s clutch connects and disconnects the engine and transmission and dampens unwanted vibrations in a vehicle’s driveline system. If something goes off-kilter, expensive components, such as transmissions, may be affected, and today’s high torque engines put...
- Posted January 16, 2014
- 3 Alternatives to the Double Nut System
Like so many other truck components, the wheel end assembly — consisting of the spindle, hub, bearings, drums, rims, tires and all mounting hardware — has undergone changes in the past few years.
- Posted November 7, 2013
- Understanding the air dryers now available in new brake systems
Can we agree that the brake system is a vitally important part of your truck? Certainly you want to feel confident that your brakes are working at peak performance.
- Posted September 1, 2013
- A little bit of planning will keep those batteries charged
Imagine waking up before sunrise filled with anticipation of a great day of trucking ahead of you, only to notice that your cab is far hotter than expected. You have a sick feeling about what’s coming next,...
- Posted July 1, 2013
- Understanding how to keep fuel costs down — that’s how you roll
Want to save fuel? Of course you do. Any truck operator has fuel economy as a top priority. But with so many products on the market promising savings, and the need to optimize every dollar spent, how...
- Posted May 1, 2013
- Understand what you’ll get from the latest technology
This is the information age, and the trucking industry is seeing the benefits of advanced technology. Drivers and fleets can optimize miles per gallon, control operating costs and maximize uptime thanks to all sorts of devices now...
- Posted March 5, 2013