- Home-schooling in a truck means the country is a classroom
- This driver sees the world through Google Glass
- A career trucker brings his tales of the road to people in hospice
- How driver Paul Sedlak finds motivation to reach his fitness goals
- I Love Trucking: More than a job, driving is a way of life
- Big Rig Books: Driver delivers books to underprivileged kids
- Driver Chris Jackson captures moments of beauty on the road
- Trucking Couple: Why June & David got hitched
- Owner-operator Fritz Elmhorst puts his competitiveness to good use
- Driver David Boyer: Sharing the road responsibly
All posts by David A. Kolman
- Drivers lose their ability to control a vehicle when distracted
Many drivers figure they can manage these small distractions.
- Posted May 1, 2014
- Test Drive: Kenworth’s T680 with integrated 52-inch sleeper
When Kenworth offered me the opportunity to put its T680 tractor with the new 52-inch integrated sleeper through its paces, I jumped at the chance.
- Posted November 13, 2013
- Good reasons to appreciate drivers
William James, an American philosopher and psychologist who is often referred to as the father of American psychology, once stated: “The deepest principle of human nature is a craving to be appreciated.”
- Posted September 1, 2013
- Making the most of a roadside inspection
It was one OF those early evenings made for trucking. The sky was clear blue. The air was crisp. My dispatch was an eight-hour round trip drop and hook. No fingerprinting freight for a change.
- Posted July 2, 2013
- Avoid a trip you don’t want to take
If you’re like me, you typically don’t give much thought to getting in and out of trucks, especially if you’re in a hurry. It’s one of those things that every driver does many times a day, almost...
- Posted May 2, 2013
- The long search for a cabover project truck
I’ve been on a quest for a good many years now, as you regular Road King readers are aware. For those who aren’t, my pursuit has been to find an affordable, reasonable-looking, used cabover tractor. It will...
- Posted May 1, 2013
- New Year’s 2013: 10 Promises I’m Making to Myself
New Year's Eve has always been a time for reflection. 10 things I'm promising myself.
- Posted January 1, 2013
- Bragging Rights: Who’s the safest driver of them all?
There have been numerous occasions when I’ve been having coffee with other drivers and the conversation turned to safe driving. Trucker after trucker would try to top one another with their tally of miles or years driven...
- Posted November 5, 2012
- The power of truly appreciating truck drivers
I look forward to each National Truck Driver Appreciation Week. Since the inaugural event in 1998, it’s a time when America and the trucking industry recognizes professional truck drivers for the difficult job they do so well.
- Posted September 2, 2012
- Some advice to companies on keeping drivers
How does this sound? Trucking companies have a dedicated driver recruitment department that invests a significant amount of money each month in recruiting programs to find qualified drivers. This department has a well-defined program to drill down...
- Posted July 5, 2012