- A driver builds up his own trucking business
- Father and son share a love of life on the road, even if it makes visits rare
- This driver always makes time to mentor the next generation — whether at home or on the road
- This driver helps rookie truckers learn the ropes
- Home-schooling in a truck means the country is a classroom
- This driver sees the world through Google Glass
- A career trucker brings his tales of the road to people in hospice
- How driver Paul Sedlak finds motivation to reach his fitness goals
- I Love Trucking: More than a job, driving is a way of life
- Big Rig Books: Driver delivers books to underprivileged kids
All posts by David A. Kolman
- Are you listening, or just hearing?
A lot of the stress we deal with every single day is due to a condition I call ineffective listening. How many times have you “heard” the wrong scheduled pick-up time, backed into the wrong door, or...
- Posted May 2, 2015
- Always expect the unexpected on the road
You never know when opportunity may come a-knockin’. Sometimes it’s at the most inopportune times. Unexpected situation 1 Late into the evening, I had a blowout on a trailer tire. I immediately glanced all around. I could...
- Posted November 4, 2014
- Daimler’s Future Truck 2025 makes its own way down the road
Imagine a truck that drives itself and allows its driver to be less stressed, more productive and safer behind the wheel. This truck constantly communicates with its surroundings to allow vehicles to travel more closely together, taking...
- Posted November 3, 2014
- Checking out a truck show in Misano
The Misano Grand Prix Truck Race in Italy is a part of the European Truck Racing Championship — an annual racing series of production two-axle road tractors that takes place throughout Europe on weekends. The races themselves...
- Posted October 1, 2014
- Drivers lose their ability to control a vehicle when distracted
Many drivers figure they can manage these small distractions.
- Posted May 1, 2014
- Test Drive: Kenworth’s T680 with integrated 52-inch sleeper
When Kenworth offered me the opportunity to put its T680 tractor with the new 52-inch integrated sleeper through its paces, I jumped at the chance.
- Posted November 13, 2013
- Good reasons to appreciate drivers
William James, an American philosopher and psychologist who is often referred to as the father of American psychology, once stated: “The deepest principle of human nature is a craving to be appreciated.”
- Posted September 1, 2013
- Making the most of a roadside inspection
It was one OF those early evenings made for trucking. The sky was clear blue. The air was crisp. My dispatch was an eight-hour round trip drop and hook. No fingerprinting freight for a change.
- Posted July 2, 2013
- Avoid a trip you don’t want to take
If you’re like me, you typically don’t give much thought to getting in and out of trucks, especially if you’re in a hurry. It’s one of those things that every driver does many times a day, almost...
- Posted May 2, 2013
- The long search for a cabover project truck
I’ve been on a quest for a good many years now, as you regular Road King readers are aware. For those who aren’t, my pursuit has been to find an affordable, reasonable-looking, used cabover tractor. It will...
- Posted May 1, 2013